Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mom's Birthday Card

My Mom is a fall baby and soon it will be her big day. When I saw the LCOM Sketch 93 by Ana Castro, I knew right off  that this was going to become her Birthday card. Great sketch Ana!


While playing around with my papers, I came up with the idea of making a magnetic card. Mom is always displaying her cards on the kitchen table and after a while, they all end up in one big pile. I wanted to be able to remove the front of the card so that she could show them in a fashionable manner. This is a win win for all the people who do not want to save the whole card but just the time intensive handmade front. (Don't you like how I put that in bold)? I made the front layer magnetic, so that it can be displayed on any steel surface.

This is what my card looks like all pieced together.


I didn't want my card to look naked and needed a place to hide the steel, I got to work on creating a simple and matching base layer. The steel is hidden behind the leaves. This part of the card would even be the perfect place to write or stamp a hidden message.
  

This is the inside of my card


Here is what it looks like on my frig.


 I am going to have some fun coming up with "what's next" in the world of magnetic designs.

I am planning on posting a more detailed tutorial later in the week.

It has been along time since I took on a challenge from The Craft Journal. I glittered up some white AC Cardstock with Martha Stewart's fire opal glitter. I then punched some butterflies out with my favorite Martha Stewart's punch.
My patterned paper is by Me and My Big Idea
My craft paper was given to me as a gift. I am not certain who the manufacturer is.
Leaf is from a Stampin' up! punch.
My stickers: The Girl's Paperie
Floss is out of my stash.

Thanks for looking!
-Cher

5 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

A beautiful card and I am so happy you joined in the fun at The Kraft Journal. I hope you will continue to join us each week.

len said...

Beautiful card Cher! She will love this for sure! Thanks for playing along with us at LCOM!

Sleepy Stamper said...

Lovely card! This is such a good idea! Thank you for sharing it with us over at the Kraft Journal.
Anitra

Brenda's Scrap Place said...

Great card. love the colors. Thanks for joining in at Let's Capture Our Memories.

Beatrice Lawson said...

What a beautiful card!! Love all the sparkly butterflies and the colours. Thanks for joining us at LCOM!